Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pot Kidney Pie

My Star Wars kick continues. I just spent the past 3 hours researching and recording information on Star Wars novels. That is where all my time goes. I pick something, get really obsessed with it, make several spreadsheets filled with information that I find interesting, and then move on.

One Hundred and Thirty Star Wars Novels. And that's not counting ANY of the Young Adult or eBook stories. I want to read them all. Unfortunately, I do not consider myself much of a reader. In the past few years I've probably averaged between 6 and 8 books a year. Not that I don't enjoy reading, I just don't DO it. Well, novels. The internet just provides me another path to acquire the basic information in a much shorter time period. I guess it all began in middle school with sparknotes and Lord of the Flies. I enjoyed Lord of the Flies, I flew through the first few chapters, but one day I just didn't have time to read the required chapters for the next day's class. The next day at school I picked up where the rest of the class was and I just never read those few chapters that I missed (turns out they were kind of important [Simon]). Enter, sparknotes chapter summaries. It was too easy. Twenty pages trimmed down into a few paragraphs, and it provided me all the information that I needed in order to get a higher grade on the test than most of the other students. I didn't see any reason not to use sparknotes. At least no reason not to use them for books I didn't really care for (a.k.a. Charles Dickens). Now, almost a decade later the internet has just grown larger and larger. Even though I haven't been to the sparknotes website in probably 5 years, I can find the same information in a dozen other locations. With wiki sites around every corner for every topic imaginable, I can find a summary with all the vital story points about anything I want. So, should I take the time and read/watch/listen to the entire thing, or should I read a shortened version with all the key points?

That last paragraph may have been misleading. I really do enjoy experiencing things how they were intended, whether it be through a book, a movie, or whatever else. I just sometimes wonder if I'm not wasting my time with the several hours it takes me to read a novel. But really though, what is time to waste? I'm making a crappy blag post; is that really a better use of my time than reading a 400 page Star Wars book? One could argue either I suppose, but I'd end up getting pissed at you for whatever side you chose because the argument itself would be an even bigger waste of time. I could learn summaries of hundreds of stories in the time it takes me to read the 5 books I'm looking at on my shelf right now, but the problem is that I hate spoilers. The internet is one giant spoiler. What was I talking about again?

New subject:

So it turns out that one of my buddies linked this worthless piece of trash blog in one of their recent posts. This made me conscious of the fact that everything I write on here can actually be viewed by anybody. I'm not sure I really like the idea of that since I find it a lot easier to write when I'm upset and thus I may come across as being one of those whiny little teenage assholes. I just read through all of my posts from 2009, and. Well, they all suck. And are good examples of the point I'm trying to make. I thought about deleting them for my own peace of mind, but I find them somewhat amusing. Plus, I suppose they're canon so I can't just toss them to the wind. Just because a story arc is bad doesn't mean you can disregard it from the series. As ridiculous as some of the things I write may be, apparently that's really what I was feeling at the time. I'm nuts. I also checked the number of unpublished drafts. 57. I wonder if there is anything worthwhile in any of those. That's not to say that there is anything worthwhile in any of these. Some of the pictures are fun. At least for me.

The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup on Wednesday, and the World Cup started today. I really don't think it gets much better than this.

I feel like this post was very scatterbrained. I've been falling asleep for about an hour and a half now, so I guess I should actually do that. I might edit this all later, but

1 comment:

ruchachaaa said...

can i get a summary for this blog post?


tl;dr